Facial Fillers (Dermal)
Dermal fillers add fullness to those areas of the face where deeper lines or folds of soft tissue make you look older than you are or feel. As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat. This means that facial muscles must work closer to the skin’s surface, so smile lines and crow’s feet become more apparent.
Juvéderm® and Restylane® can help. Both fillers are made up of hyaluronic acid (a critical component responsible for youthful-looking skin) and work instantly to fill in areas on the face where volume has been lost. When you come in for a consultation, Dr. Delia will discuss which fillers are right for you.
What do dermal fillers address?
Fillers can be used to plump thin lips, enhance shallow contours, soften facial creases and wrinkles, and even improve the appearance of recessed scars. If any of these concerns pertain to you, dermal fillers may be right for you!
There are several types of Juvéderm® products on the market, each designed to treat moderate to severe wrinkles that vary in depth:
- Juvéderm Voluma® XC – adds volume to correct age-related volume loss in the cheeks to help create a more youthful appearance.
- Juvéderm Vollure™ XC – smooths moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth. Its effectiveness has been proven time and time again, delivering real results that last up to one year.
- Juvéderm Volbella® XC – is a unique filler because of its’ VYCROSS™ technology, an innovative combination of low and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is a natural, hydrating substance found in your skin. Volbella provides long-lasting fullness to the lips.
- Juvéderm® Ultra XC – this homogeneous (smooth) gel integrates naturally into the skin and is hydrophilic (meaning it pulls water in). It swells slightly after injection but is helpful around the mouth or in the temple.
- Juvéderm® Ultra Plus XC – this highly concentrated hyaluronic acid filler is more concentrated than Ultra but is used in the same areas for more severe volume loss.
Restylane® products include multiple wrinkle fillers that vary slightly in particle size and in the way the particles are cross-linked, for plenty of options to artfully address your specific needs:
- Restylane® – combats common signs of aging by adding fullness and volume for moderate to severe wrinkles and folds on the face, including smile lines and nasolabial folds.* It can also be used to add fullness, definition, and symmetry to the lips.
- Restylane® Defyne – smooths deeper folds and wrinkles in the skin, including nasolabial folds. This gel is formulated with cross-linked molecules and contains tightly woven particles that help support your skin for enhanced wrinkle correction.
- Restylane® Refyne – offers subtle enhancements for wrinkles and lines around the mouth. Refyne is formulated with similar cross-linking technology, but with particles that are cross-linked in a looser way to give you even more flexibility and natural-looking outcomes.
- Restylane® Silk – specifically formulated for the lips and the area around the lips. Silk enhances lip volume, shape, and symmetry. This formulation also smooths the vertical lines around the lips.
- Restylane® Lyft – helps lift and define the mid-face, correcting volume loss, and enhancing contours. In addition to being an excellent choice for improving signs of aging in the cheeks, Lyft can also be used to treat facial wrinkles and folds.
What does a dermal filler treatment entail?
Fillers are injected into areas of the face using a very fine needle, smoothing and filling in wrinkles immediately. This treatment is often done in a single session during which patients may experience mild discomfort. The amount of injectable gel and the placement of the injections vary in conjunction with each patient’s needs and facial structure.
Mild swelling, redness, and slight discomfort may occur at the injection sites; these symptoms will fade within a few days, leaving a natural and smoother look to your skin.
Dr. Delia also uses more up-to-date methods of injection utilizing a variety of blunt-tip soft cannulas instead of sharp needles. This helps minimize discomfort, swelling and bruising.
After the treatment
For many individuals, corrective treatments can last from 6-12 months, with certain products in the Juvéderm® and Restylane® families delivering results that last even longer. However, each patient is unique, and the length or your results will depend on how quickly your body metabolizes the product. Eventually, dermal fillers do leave the system, and touch-up treatments are recommended.
Schedule your consultation on Boston’s South Shore
Whether you have used fillers in the past or you are curious about trying them for the first time, we will ensure that you get amazing results. Add youth and volume to your face with a custom treatment plan from Dr. Delia. Call 781-934-1599 or fill out the contact form on our site to set up your consultation on the South Shore.